There is so much to love about India. Our country successfully manages to attract people all over the world towards its rich culture and heritage. India is among the few countries in the world which has kept its heritage intact even after hundreds of years. Here is an example of a few things that have survived in its original form even after 100 years..
1. First time the demonstration of electricity was conducted in Kolkata
In 1879, the demonstration was conducted for the first time. Till today, India is the largest producer of electricity in the world.
2. Karim’s was established in the heart of Chandni Chowk, Old Delhi
In 1913, Karim’s was established and till today, it resides in the heart of Chandni Chowk.
3. St. Thomas’ Boys’ School was established in Kolkata
Year 1789 was its beginning. It is just one of the many schools in Kolkata that are over 100 years old!
4. Pamban Bridge (connecting Rameshwaram on Pamban island to mainland India) began to function
Standing high on the ocean since 1914, it is one of the world’s most dangerous railroads.
5. Indian Railways was founded
Talking about railroad, we feel proud to mention our Indian railway running since 1853.
6. Indian postal service was founded in 1774
This public service set up is more than 200 years old.
7.The first silent feature film, ‘Raja Harishchandra’ by Dadasaheb Phalke
This film, in the year 1913 set the foundation of India’s biggest film industry, Bollywood.
8.1200-1250 years old- The Great Banyan tree in Kolkata
It was the widest tree in the world in terms of the area of the canopy and is estimated to be about 1200 to 1250 years old. It became diseased after it was struck by lightning, so in 1925 the middle of the tree was excised to keep the remainder healthy; this has left it as a clonal colony, rather than a single tree. A 330 metre long road was built around its circumference, but the tree continues to spread beyond it.
9. The diversity we live in since time immemorial
India is home to a large number of different religions and somewhere about 780 different languages. This is the kind of incredible diversity we live in.
10. The talent of Indians is also an age old attribute that continues to win hearts world over, till date.
From Aryabhatta to Nagarjuna, from Acharya Sushruta to C. V. Raman, from Amartya Sen to Kalpana Chawla, and from Sundar Pichai to that budding inventor in your school. Smartness is synonymous with Indians.
11.The family love
No matter how much we have embraced the western culture and how ethnocentrism is evident everywhere in India, family comes first even today for every Indian. Families here are not restrained to parents, it includes Chacha, Mama, Bua, Dada-dadi, long line of siblings and even neighbours for that matter.
12. ‘Kranti’(Patriotism) runs in our blood even today
Though it took us time, but the entire nation stood together to show the britishers their door to England. For today, from rapes to rights, we raise our voice together.
13. The cricket fever remains high even today
Cricket matches are taken as seriously as a war. It brings so much enthusiasm even today.
14. And yes, we can be flying in first class but we will still eat that ‘chawal’ with our hands
‘Kuch khaane ka mazaa toh haatho se khane mein hi aata hai’. Yes we do prefer to eat some food with bare hands.
15. And talking about enjoying food, let’s end it with a food brand that has been an integral part of Indian kitchens since 1912
It is Nestle people, celebrating its 100 years in India. This beautiful short film shot by Prakash Verma of Nirvana films and written by the very talented writer and lyricist Prasoon Joshi, talks about how Nestle has been with India, giving her people the good taste of life, through the many ups and downs she has faced over a century!