Heard about ‘corrective raping’? Yes, most probably because it’s not bizarre in India to sexually assault a person in order to change his/her sexual orientation. Families in India have been doing this for years now taking pride in doing this ‘service’ to ‘cure’ the homosexual kid of their family. Have you heard of ancient India not blinking an eye to gay love and gay marriage? No? Here’s a listicle of 10 shocking and stirring (maybe, even unsettling for some) facts about ancient Hinduism dealing with a third gender apart from male and female:
1. HINDUISM DOES NOT HAVE A SINGLE ACCEPTED RELIGIOUS RULING ON ANY ISSUE WHATSOEVER.
Hinduism has always understood everything keeping the time, place and circumstance in consideration. But, we, Indians, in the name of religion, declare our own religious standings without bearing in mind the changing time, place and circumstances. Aren’t humans supposed to adapt whilst learning?
2. HINDU TEACHERS AND SOCIAL LEGISLATORS PREACHED THAT PEOPLE ARE BORN WITH DIFFERENT PROCILIVITES, TENDENCIES AND TASTES DUE TO THEIR KARMA.
Okay, so karma steps in here. You did something bad in your past life, you will be born gay in the next, said our ancestors. So, Lady Gaga was right, we were all born this way. Heterosexual or not? Your karma will decide.
3. IN THE HINDU UNIVERSE, IF A CERTAIN BEHAVIOR PATTERN EXISTS, THEN IT IS “NATURAL”.
Unlike some cultures that have a theory called the “Natural Law” to condemn homosexuality, according to ancient Hinduism, anything that persists is natural and accepted. If someone showed traits of being gay, lesbian, bisexual or transvestite, they weren’t being abnormal or pervert; their homosexuality was accepted like without a second thought.
4. ALL MALE DEVOTEES OF KRISHNA DRESSED UP AND LIVED AS WOMEN.
The Vaishnava sahajiya from the 17th century interprets ‘kama’ or desire as male and ‘prema’ or selfless love as female. All males devoted to Krishna, therefore, identified themselves as Radha, Krishna’s consort, by dressing and living as women around Krishna. They had to show their perfect love to Him, even if it meant wearing lehengas.
5. A PERSON IS CAPABLE OF BEING AROUSED SEXUALLY BY THE OPPOSITE SEX, SAME SEX OR AN ANIMAL.
Sakatayana, a Jain philosopher, indoctrinated the possibility of anyone being gay or lesbian. When homosexuality had been accepted, why should copulating with an animal be punishable, right? (Please do not get sidetracked here, Indians, as same sex marriage is the top agenda for protests today. One step at a time.)
6. TRANSVESTITES, PROSTITUTES AS WELL AS COURTESANS ARE CONSIDERED HARBINGERS OF GOOD FORTUNE AT WEDDINGS AND RELIGIOUS CEREMONIES.
A still prevalent belief in present India: feeling blessed by a transvestite or homosexual person by inviting them at a religious ceremony—or even when you are beginning a new journey. So, they only bring happiness and are not worth it? Why are we treating our own species, let alone any other, inhumanly?
7. VATSYAYANA MENTIONED PEOPLE “MARRYING” MEMBERS OF THEIR OWN SEX EITHER IN OPEN OR SECRETLY.
Vatsyayana, believed to be the author of Kama Sutra, wrote about people being in live-in relationships with other of the same sex. Come on, now. If this does not prove ancient Indians’ notion about same sex marriage, I don’t know what does.
8. SEXUALITY IS A TRIANGLE OF MALE, FEMALE AND NEUTER OR THE ‘THIRD SEX’.
The Ayurveda advocated that the Hindu universe, in general, is a tripartite structure—heaven, earth and the mid-regions; past, present and future; action, inertia and equilibrium; and male, female and neuter where neuter is the third corner of the triangle.
9. HOMOSEXUAL ACTS WERE VERY MINOR OFFENSES COMPARED TO SEVERAL PERVERSE HETEROSEXUAL ACTS.
While homosexual intercourse was not a sanction by law, it was also not a big deal to be gay and be open about it. Homosexual intercourse between men came with a prescription of a bath with one’s clothes on, and a penance of “eating the five products of the cow and keeping a one-night fast”. And sex between non-virgin women incurred a very small fine. These law-breakers weren’t condemned; they were only fined which was fine in contrast to amputation and execution.
10. SAFE BET: ANCIENT INDIA WAS FAR HEALTHIER THAN MOST OTHER ANCIENT CULTURES.
Then, why these ‘corrective rapes’? To boast of our obvious aversion to homosexual love? Instead, why don’t we learn something from these two Indian families in the United States who finally decided their sons deserve to have a happily married life? SOURCE: history-of-hinduism.blogspot.in; in.lifestyle.yahoo.com